That which is most universal is most personal, indeed there is nothing human which is strange to us.
-Nouwen

The harvest is here...

The harvest is here...
The kingdom is near...

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Presence...

When I was a baby, You held me close.
When I was just a child You showed me the way I should go.
When I'm old and gray You'll never leave me... You're right by my side.

When I was a baby, I was bathed in a plastic bucket like the one I bought for seven yuan yesterday and then filled up with copies of assessment tests to give my students when classes begin next week. When I ran into my boss on campus, he was confused about the copies I think the school should make them and about my new cell phone number this is your third phone I think but he totally got the bucket nice bucket.

I know that You saved me, but I don't know... I don't know, how far You had to reach.

When I was just a child, the first number I memorized was my age and the second was the house phone number. I never dreamed of owning a cell phone. I never dreamed of owning one (or three) in China. But I still had to wait in a line of dirt smelling farmers from the nearby valley to put more money on it. I even had to help a few of them with the automated machine which is all in Chinese, a language neither of us speak. Upon exiting I was greeted by a former student who ushered me into her family's house/nicnac shop where a stool materialized from no where and ice cream on a stick was thrust into my hand. I met her whole family including her dog the stomach has babies and happily took the opportunity to share my new phone number with her, and the two other students I chanced to run into, with hugs and smiles, that day.

I swam in Your deep love, but I don't know... I don't know, how wide and how deep.

When I'm old and gray, I can't imagine that I'll be more careless than I was when I showed up at the stationary store and asked for 85 notebooks for my students without the appropriate amount of cash. Friendship with one of the salesgirls proved advantageous as she forked over 50 yuan to make up for my shortage, and then threw in a few extra notebooks free.
And I can't imagine that I would forget being accepted shortly after around a large square table covered by a stained, striped cloth and littered with thermoses of sweet milk tea, metal bowls of soupy noodles, small dishes of pickled radishes, and English and Tibetan notes. I couldn't be more different than those girls who shared the table with me, but you wouldn't know it from the way I was treated.

I know that You're good too, but I don't know... I don't know, why You're so good to me.

A phone call: Kellyla I'm in Xining, travel is so bad... the train give me headache. I am halfway to Beijing. I call you. I love you. We must be connected.

A handful of package slips: Here are you boxes from America.

A day spent in awe of what the Father can do.

How'm I gonna thank You... when I can't get my arms around You?


He has promised to bring the good work that He started in you to completion...
And He's more committed to that than you are.

Are they looking out or in?